It is a reality, when talking about makeup, a topic that interests most of us will always come up. Which are better: affordable or expensive products? Today I will try to answer this question, so if you want to see who wins the drugstore vs high-end makeup battle, keep reading.
Let’s be honest, at some point, most of us have believed that buying an expensive product is going to be better than an inexpensive one. However, in the makeup world, this premise is not always true.
The differences between expensive makeup and drugstore makeup go beyond their functionality. There are even times when the ingredients are the same. But if it’s not about the components, then why are there more expensive makeup brands than others?
Before answering this question that many of us have in our minds, let’s first see: what are the characteristics of drugstore and high-end products?
Characteristics of drugstore makeup
As the name implies, drugstore products can be easily found in supermarkets, pharmacies, and makeup stores. That is, you will not have to go to specialized stores to buy them.
Many of the drugstore makeup brands are part of makeup empires that also produce high-end cosmetics. They are created to increase their market and find more buyers who are not interested in branded products.
You may wonder how a product from the same empire can produce expensive cosmetics and others that are not so expensive. They simply use no-frills ingredients, formulas, and packaging, and in this way, reduce the cost of production.
That is, inexpensive products like their more expensive counterparts, are safe products that do not have ingredients that harm your skin.
It is super important to understand that pharmacy makeup is very different from pirate makeup. Remember that fake cosmetics are made with ingredients of questionable reputation, which can become dangerous for the body.
Drugstore makeup is found in recognized stores, and its intention is not to copy high-end makeup but to offer products with similar characteristics at a lower cost.
Characteristics of high-end makeup
Unlike drugstore cosmetics, high-end cosmetics are products in which brands invest a lot of money so that each part of their production is carried out by specialists.
That is, they have specialists who choose the ingredients, who formulate the product, who conduct research on the functionality of the product, etc. But this is not all, they also spend a lot of money on unique packaging and advertising.
While we would expect higher-end products to have a better formula, pigment, durability, and design, the high price does not always guarantee this. Sometimes what you pay for a high-end product is:
- The brand: When you buy exclusive brand products, the first thing you are paying for is the brand name, as this is considered a status symbol.
- Fragrances: High-end brands sometimes have unique fragrances that enhance the consumer experience. Also, sometimes, expensive brands advertise fragrance-free products claiming they are better for the skin.
- Best applicators: The tool with which we apply makeup is essential for it to look spectacular. Therefore, usually high-end brands spend money, creating better applicators that help their products look better.
- Packaging: Most of the time, the packaging of high-end products is luxurious. These brands have experts who design custom and specialized packaging that is very expensive and makes the product feel luxurious.
Differences between drugstore and high-end makeup
There are several differences between drugstore products and high-end products. Among them are:
- High-end product stores allow you to test products before buying. This means, sometimes they give free samples. Sometimes they also let you change a product when you chose the wrong shade.
- You can easily find drugstore products. This happens because pharmacy cosmetics are available in pharmacies, supermarkets, etc.
- The packaging of the products. As I already mentioned, high-end brand products usually feel more luxurious.
- High-end brands tend to invest more in research and raw materials.
- High-end brands often add exclusive components to their cosmetics.
- Pharmacy brands tend to release products and collections more often. This allows them to have a greater variety of products.
Decisive factors when choosing
Okay, now that we know the main characteristics and differences between drugstore and high-end cosmetics, let’s answer the question at the beginning of the post. Which are better: affordable or expensive products?
The answer to this question is simple: It all depends. That’s right, depending on many factors, a drugstore product will be better than a high-end one.
Let’s see then what are some of these factors that we must consider:
- Budget factor: This is an essential factor. Depending on the amount of money you have assigned for your cosmetics, you will be able to purchase a drugstore or a high-end product.
- Utilization factor: Depending on how often you use your makeup, you should make the decision to invest in high-end makeup or drugstore makeup. For example, if you are a person who wears makeup every day, you probably do not want to be spending money every month on high-end products. Whereas, if you put makeup on every now and then, you can probably invest in a more expensive product that will last you longer.
- Expiration factor: This is also a significant factor and goes hand in hand with the previous one. Depending on how long a cosmetic can last without spoiling, you will want to invest more or less money in it. For example, it is better to invest more money in powdered products than in liquid or cream products. Why? Because powdered products last longer than liquid products.
- Skin factor: You must consider your skin type when you go to buy any makeup product. That these products are more or less expensive and that they work for certain people does not mean that they will be a good fit for you. Remember to check that the ingredients are not going to react improperly on your skin before buying a product.
Finally, I would like to clarify that I do not think there are winners in this battle between drugstore makeup and high-end makeup. Each of them has its own pros and cons. The product or brand that each person chooses depends on their opinions and their needs.
Additionally, I would like to add that, in all brands, both high-end and drugstore, there are excellent products, and there are products that are not so good.
The important thing is that we know our needs and our preferences. This way, we can invest in those products that are suitable for us and for what we are looking for.
Now I would like to know your opinion. For you, which are better: the drugstore products or the high-end ones. Let me know your answer in the comments below.